Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Illuminating my World in New Orleans' Garden District

The World Tour posts segues into a bit of shameless self-promotion for my new self-published catalog of lumen prints, Crescent City Illumenations.  


Preview/Purchase HERE

For this project, I didn't travel miles to see a new world, I simply gathered flowers and leaves from sidewalks in the Garden District and looked at my surroundings in a new light.  That's what a "lumen" print is. Essentially, a it is a solar photogram.  An object placed on light sensitive paper and then exposed in the sun.   In essence, it can be used as a paper negative to create a positive print, in black and white.  However, I like to keep them as they are, using the colors of the emulsions in the paper to further illuminate the subjects.  This series was done on a now defunct Agfa paper.  That paper can be used years after its expiration gives one of the biggest rewards of lumen printing - recycling.

Cat's Claw    2010

I began working with this process in late 2008.  Crescent City Illumenations was created in 2010.  Three years later, I still walk through the Garden District, picking up leaves and flowers, though I've also added feathers into my luminous reportoire, and I've gotten slightly more adventurous with bug wings.

I created this catalog simply to share "my world", the world I choose to see.  In that respect, this blog entry is no different than my posts on travels to China, Delhi, or Poland.  Hope you enjoy!  I'll be in Quebec soon, I hope.

Feel free to browse thru the book. If you'd like to purchase,  I thank you very much for supporting me, the World Tour, and all my 'nattie concepts'.


1 comment:

  1. Nice topic this one..well interested..and the well points are given here..well article too..so nice to see this here..thanks for sharing here with us..
    Accounts Software For Small Business
    Simran Kaur

    ReplyDelete