Monday, May 12, 2014

Now is Then & Then is Now - in Cuba, Alabama





Fresh off my trip from (the Prime) Meridian and Heidelberg, I arrived in  Cuba AL,


where I recieved a warm welcome.  

Cuba is as beautiful and colorful as it is hospitable





The Cuba Museum holds the history of the area, but alas, it is only open by appointment and I was short on time.



I did find an artifact right outside the door, though.  :)



I thought I had seen all there was of Cuba when,



while stopped along the road to photograph the cemetery sign, I met a local photographer who informed me of the downtown (just a few blocks away). Following his directions, I drove to the town center, and felt like I was stepping back in time. 

Cuba Post Office   2014
Cuba Mercantile & Railroad  2014
Cuba Residence   2014
Cuba Downtown Building   2014
Large, stately mansions contrast the remnants of what was once a bustling railroad town.  I learned from my new photo friend that most of these family homes sit empty - the former occupants have moved on - some to Meridian, others elsewhere.

I may have stumbled across a small town with the oh-so-common tale of a crumbling town center and a dwindling population, but with its natural beauty, history, and legacy - Cuba seems pretty large to me. 
Til next time..


Up Next:
Snapshots of York AL

all content (c) Natasha Sanchez

About the WORLD TOUR:

The Nattie Concepts World Tour began in 2011 under the premise that the world is as large or as small as you want it to be. Since that time, over 20 "international" destinations have been visited in Louisiana. The 2014 World Tour began in March 2014 and aims to discover the many exotic locales of the Southeastern United States.  Follow the blog for more exciting adventures! 

Check out a preview of the Louisiana World Tour on my website
http://www.nattie-concepts.com/portfolio_-_photography/world_tour


No comments:

Post a Comment