Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Start Spreadin' the Splendor - in Delhi, Louisiana



So....I set out last week to see the world and my first stop was Delhi, LA.
 I'm starting this project with no preconceived notion of what it is I want to photograph - my only requirement is to make it to my intended destinations. I thought it best to let the project sort of unfold as I went along. I love photographing small town landscapes, so it is entirely possible that that would become my main focus.   I pictured many of my photographs looking like this:



Of course I will have plenty of those photographs from my travels, in fact I already do.
But I almost bypassed Delhi, for no other reason than it was a wee bit out of the way.   I was on a mission to get up to Transylvania, and true to form, had left my house much later than planned. But I was enjoying the ride so I decided to go ahead and visit that great land, and I am soooo glad I did, because Delhi is soooo Button Cute.


I spent most of my time gazing at and photographing two buildings - First Baptist Church and the Cave Theatre, both on Broadway...interesting...


self-portrait attempt

The Cave Theatre

I got quite a sense of grandeur and welcome as I photographed the First Baptist Church, on Broadway, in Delhi.  Where am I again?    





So, there you have it, Delhi, LA - this is what I was drawn to.  Artistic and Spiritual Centers. Go Figure.  There is so much more to see and photograph, but Transylvania was  a callin'.  
The last shot I took of the church includes a message from, yes, their electronic sign:


"This is the day that....."

And so begins the Inspirational Portion of my World Tour.  It was to become a theme among the other places I visited, to be blogged about at a later date.  This is the day that .....what?  I begin a fake World Tour for no real reason?  Or is this the day that I begin to just ...see what happens. Nice philosophy, if I can hang with that.  

But never fear, I still have my eye out for places like this gem:


Hope you enjoy the photos!
- Natasha



Next Up:

Ancient Ruins that pre-date the Egyptian Pyramids 
and 
Transylvania


3 comments:

  1. Nice photo's. I think I might be inspired for
    My own world tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! and i highly recommend a world tour, it's been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why but I have a real soft spot for fake world tours.

    ReplyDelete