Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Nattie in Nouvelle Orleans; Nueva Orleans; New Orleans, Louisiana

Two months into my World Tour and already it has taken an unexpected shape of its own. Primarily a photographic road trip, I also want to incorporate the music side of my artwork - my one woman band called Nattie.  (For the newbies, the band  "Nattie" consists of myself (Natasha), my guitar (Miss Delta Blue) and the witties ditties we create - I simply use "Nattie" as a stage or band name )  I figured I would play an occasional open mic in cities near my tour route, as neither Transylvania nor Liverpool, Louisiana has an open mic to my knowledge....(Though I might have had some luck in  (the) Vatican...who knows...)

Tilben's Lounge  

That plan hasn't happened,  as I've been more into being contemplative with a camera than witty with a guitar during my road trips.
However, I did appropriately kick off the music portion of the World Tour in July at the Old Point Bar in Algiers, Louisiana after completing the first of my many World Tour photographic treks.


Musically, I've toured the world - without ever leaving the city of Nouvelle Orleans.  The plethora of open mics this city offers had me playing music almost every night.  I've since settled into three open mics, when tour and time allow,  that I really enjoy and seem best suited for my style.  These evenings are a great way to sharpen skills, share with others, and connect with new faces.    Since this blog is dedicated to the ditties, I thought I'd dust off the ol' Holga for some  imperfect and  old-timey NOLA shots...

Buffas, on the edge of the French Quarter, okay -  on the Marigny side of Esplanade, I just wanted to use the word "French".  I was pleased to be the Inaugural Performer for their first open mic night! It has since become one of my favorites.  Wednesdays at 8pm






Parasols in the Irish Channel
Mondays at 8



and the Fair Grinds Coffeehouse in Faubourg St. John
2nd Thursdays @ 7





 I am currently in the process of putting together a show of  the International Louisiana towns I've traveled to, featuring my songs, stories, and photographs.    In December, Buffas will host, as part of PhotoNOLA,  the first of what I hope is many World Tour performance pieces.  More info to come, but  see details on the Buffas show here.

So yes, the World Tour has taken its own form.  I've had several people ask me, since I haven't had a blog post in recent weeks, if the tour is over.  My response?  No, the World Tour is not over - far from it.    It's only just beginning...


See ya around the world!  
- Natasha

On Tour in the French Quarter -
 Royal Street Aug 2011
photo M. Byrne


all content (c) Natasha Sanchez
www.nattie-concepts.com


** A shout out to all the awesome people I have met along my open mic journey including (but not limited to...) - DR, Owen aka Big Daddy O, Michael H, Stefan, Mike D, Maria aka Lady K, Vincent, Gina, Robert @  Fair Grinds, Dan, Toby, the ladies who support me but whose names I don't know...and all the people I've  chatted and shared with...I'm loving this trip!  

No comments:

Post a Comment